PRESSING FOR YOUR BLESSING “TO BLESS TO BE STRESSED”
John 9 :5 As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.
Matt 5: 13 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
This is a “how to” conversation today.
How to get to “pressing for your blessing” or from being to stressed (scratched) to being blessed. When you are stressed you have scratched yourself to far mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually.
Many Christians are in the category of being scratched and live in a spiritual environment of uncertainty. They have snapped, cracked and popped mentally. These old worlds with all its problems have simply weighted them down.
Herein is the frustration which leads to abandonment of the Christians principles.
Too many have tried to move on up like the Jefferson on the EASTSIDE to a deluxe apartment in the sky believing they finally got their piece of the pie. But unfortunately they soon become too stressed to be blessed, because they entered a contest in the material realm.
Instead of living above the world of materialism like Jesus who said in Matthew 16: 26. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
Or John 8: 23. And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world.
24. I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.
On the other side of the spectrum are those so heavenly minded that they are no earth good.
So the question is how we balance our faith walk as not to fall short of our earthly and heavenly goals. Yes you can do it, but we must have balance to where it is said that “you have your heart in heaven, but your feet on earth”. Not the reverse of this people are saying about some Christians today. That they are so heavenly mined that they are no earthly good.
Let me get to the “How to plan”. Oh and “the” means a place of safety from this old mean and cruel world. It is a hiding place. A hedged in place, etc.
OUR SCRIPTURAL TEXT
St. Matthew 6
ü 24. No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
25. Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
26. Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
27. Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
28. And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
29. And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
ü 30. Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
31. Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
32. (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
ü 33. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
ü 34. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
St. Matthew 7
7. Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
Four levels of reaching a spiritual level in Jesus. Get the hook-up with God.
PETITION: Petitioning Jesus for your daily “spiritual” bread. Not petitioning Him about the things of this world. It is all about Him and His goodness. You must be able to believe the petition. If you cannot believe it how can you receive it?
PRAYER: Praise and thankfulness are all neatly written in the Lord’s Prayer.
St. Matthew 6
9. After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
10. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
11. Give us this day our daily bread.
12. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
13. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
MEDITATION: Is concentration on a subject or thing in silence.
This type demands total self control and is not preferred by most Christians.
CONTEMPLATION: Moving yourself from the world of materialism to the inner world of spiritualism. You may say that this a conscience practice by some to distance themselves from the hurt and pain of this world.
1. I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
2. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
4. But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,
5. Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
6. Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;
7. That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
Rev. Sylvester Williams, Jr.
February 3, 2008