CERTAIN IN UNCERTAIN TIMES
Most people would agree that we are living in UNCERTAINTY IN UNCERTAIN TIMES. And the question is; is there anything to be certain about?
Can we have “CERTAINTY IN THESE UNCERTAIN TIMES?”
I suppose some folks will answer yes, you can be certain of two things; you are going to pay taxes and you are going to die.
How many of you have heard that before?
Believe it or not; that saying is not a truism. It can be challenged. Listen my friends, some people don’t pay taxes. The American Indian and others have government entitlements are exempt from ever paying taxes. And oh by the way, any expert tax preparer person will quickly tell you, “only a fool pay taxes” in the first place. Of course they attribute that to the lope wholes that can be found to avoid paying taxes.
Well that another story for another sermon on another Sunday.
And some people never die in our minds or in society. They simply make a transition, but still are frequently remembered and carry on transactions in our lives every day. Like those on the dollar. I’m talking about the Benjamin’s.
Also if you are ever in Memphis walk the blvd. of Elvis Presley and you would think the “King Lives”. The King of rock and roll lives on in Memphis.
We are living UNCERTAIN TIMES and see our quality of life and situations around us and the world becoming a major concern. Costs are climbing higher and faster than our income growth. Our expenses many times exceed our income, which causes anxiety and uncertainty. I know you know what I’m talking about.
We are downsizing, itemizing, economizing, customizing and cutting back on thing we used to do just to make it through the day.
Many are uncertain in these uncertain times.
Listen, do you know it costs you three times more to get to Church today than it did last year at this same time? Count the costs.
Do you know it costs five times more to keep the doors of the Church open today than it did one year ago at this same time? Count the costs.
Do you not know it cost 25% more for most gospel messages to be presented across this city and America today than it did 12 months ago?
Folks simply count the costs.
We are living in UNCERTAIN AND CHANGING TIMES, but there is one thing that remains constant. Anybody in here know what that is? It’s Salvation: Jesus.
HEBREWS 13: 8. Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and forever.
Everything around us will change, which thrusts us in unchanging times, but Jesus Christ words remain the same and still true and practical for living today and forever more. Salvation is Free. No increase cost to accept Salvation.
What He said to Zacchaeus, yesterday He says to us today. This day is Salvation come to this house. Luke 19:9 “CERTAINTY IN UNCERTAIN TIMES”
Do you not recall that: 41. a man named Jairus, and he was a ruler (FATHER) of the synagogue: and he fell down at Jesus' feet, and besought him that he would come into his house:
42. For he had one only daughter, about twelve years of age, and she lay a dying. But as he went the people thronged him.
43. And a woman having an issue of blood twelve years, which had spent all her living upon physicians, neither could be healed of any,
44. Came behind him, and touched the border of his garment: and immediately her issue of blood stanched. “CERTAINTY IN UNCERTAIN TIMES”
45. And Jesus said, Who touched me? When all denied, Peter and they that were with him said, Master, the multitude throng thee and press thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me?
46. And Jesus said, Somebody hath touched me: for I perceive that virtue is gone out of me.
47. And when the woman saw that she was not hid, she came trembling, and falling down before him, she declared unto him before all the people for what cause she had touched him and how she was healed immediately.
48. And he said unto her, Daughter, be of good comfort: thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace. “Certainty in Uncertain Times”.
49. While he yet spake, there cometh one from the ruler of the synagogue's house, saying to him, Thy daughter is dead; trouble not the Master.
50. But when Jesus heard it, he answered him, saying, Fear not: believe only, and she shall be made whole.
51. And when he came into the house, he suffered no man to go in, save Peter, and James, and John, and the father and the mother of the maiden.
52. And all wept, and bewailed her: but he said, Weep not; she is not dead, but sleepeth.
53. And they laughed him to scorn, knowing that she was dead.
54. And he put them all out, and took her by the hand, and called, saying, Maid, arise. “CERTAINTY IN UNCERTAIN TIMES”
55. And her spirit came again, and she arose straightway: and he commanded to give her meat.
56. And her parents were astonished: but he charged them that they should tell no man what was done. But He told me to tell you.
9. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
10. That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
11. And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Yes my friend we can have “CERTAINTY IN UNCERTAIN TIMES”, because with Jesus the times are BRIGHT not bleak: we are not STRONG not weak. It is the BEGINNING not the ending.
So let us live with CERTAINTY that these are the greatest times of our lives. We are living witnesses of His miracles and signs and wonders, because we know Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever.
If you don’t know Jesus as your personal savior you can be certain you can know Him today. Roman 10:8-15
Preached by: Rev. Sylvester Williams, Jr., I.C.U., Ministries, Inc., June 8th, 2008